Thursday, May 16, 2019

Elevator May 6

May 6

Shop

I WENT SHOPPING TODAY, YEAH NEW TOOLS!!! I finally broke down and decided to buy a band saw, wish I wold have done this way sooner. I also spent some money on the paint booth. I bought 2 new LED lights and mounted them, so I will have 40,000 Lumens of light from all around now when I paint. I also put up 2 more 2X4 cross beams on the roof of the booth so that I can store finished parts on top when the time comes that I will need the space.




I had only planed on doing work on the shop today, but I was feeling good and wanted to get some work done. I trimmed a few pieces to size.

Used a soldering iron to melt the blue plastic off the upper and lower skins to bend the close out flanges on the elevator that has the trim tab.


The plans have to measure off the bend line to start the bend, presumable to get the correct radius and location. The distance for the upper and lower are different, i think by 1/32 so that the one close out flange will sit just inside of the other. Again, my moving to fast without reading I didn't catch this until after I bent both side.


Used a wood block clamped to the table to bend the tab down with my fingers and used the rivet gun with a flush set to finish the bend at at VERY low PSI.



 Over all, Im very pleased with how well the technique works.


Slowing down now, reading the plans I came across a part I didn't understand. the trim tab hinge is suppose to be directional, front and back. I didn't know if it came that way or if the 2 holes they plans have you drill in it make it directional. the eyelet on the metal hinge didn't match up with the drawings adding to my confusion. Vans said it's the holes you drill and the eyelet side doesn't matter.


Time to use the new tools! The elevators use foam blocks to help the trailing edge keep its shape, I've read other peoples blogs where they didn't cut the blocks exactly and it caused a wave in the trailing edge so I was exact as possible to keep each one uniformed.




 Had to run to the store to pick up this step drill bit, these things are not cheap!



Finished the day with the initial mock-up almost completed!


Shop 3.5 Hours, Elevator 3.0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...