Thursday, May 16, 2019

Elevator May 14 and 15

May 14 and 15

Elevator

More new toys! I decided Im going to try the AKZO Primer, but I was concerned with the chemicals and using disposable filters. I tried to read the MSDS sheet and the filter documents to see if they would work, and i "think" they would have but I didn't want to risk it and never really needed a reason to buy new tools. I found an new Allegro ambient air system on ebay, made an offer and it was accepted!







With the mock-up complete it was time to start deburring!! Yeah.....not. But it needs done. So lots of sanding. I use the Scotch-brite wheel whenever possible and lots of 320 and 240 grit emery cloth. Ill supplement with the die grinder and 3m red bad when I need to work a small space that I want to be more aggressive on.




All the edges are done! Except the skins, now time to counter sink the trailing edge piece. The plans have you modify a #40 CS bit, but I have one from Cleveland tools as well as there trailing edge jig and this made the job super easy.




Now all I need to do is debur the skin edges and the left elevator will be ready to prep from primer. Im thinking now to do 1 elevator at a time to keep the parts separated when it comes to priming. I haven't ordered the primer yet, being a Hazmat I want to make sure Im home when its delivered, so Ill probably prep debur the right elevator over the next week while Im waiting.

Elevator 8.0 Hours




No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...