Sunday, May 19, 2019

Elevator and Aft Fuselage May 18

May 18

Elevator

I continued working on the Elevator trim tab today. Normally I don't like to dimple anything before I Prime because the dimples will tear apart the scotch-brite pads I use to prep the metal for priming, But the plans have you final drill after you dimple so I went ahead and did the dimpling so I could drill. After you dimple you assemble the trim tab and final drill #33 the holes removing clekos 1 at a time. Well I don't have a #33 drill bit, but I do have a #34 and seeing as its only .002" smaller I hoped it would work.


These holes will get pop rivets installed so after drilling I tested to make sure the pop rivet would fit the very slightly smaller hole and it did thankfully.

The plans have you bend the edges of the trailing edges of all the pieces inward, I didn't really say how to do this so I started with a hand seamer and a block of wood,  then I remembered I had to bend lap joints for the rudder and used the correct tool.



So now all the prep I can do on the Elevators is done before priming, I ordered the primer but it wont arrive until next Friday so I decided to keep working on the next section while I wait.

Aft Fuselage

This part of the kit starts out like most. Cutting pieces to size and mocking up. I did decide to deburr the edges while I work on the parts as the come across the table instead of waiting until the end to do it all at once before priming like I did with the Elevators. I think this might be better mentally since I am spreading the deburring work around.

First step was to cut the cable guides. I used the band saw.

Next step had me separate the battery angles, and stiffeners.

One of the ends of the Battery Angles you have to cut this notch out, It goes right into the middle of the ned radius so you start there with drilling a #30 hole.


Using the spring loaded hole punch to mark the location.

After I drilled the hole I used the band saw to cut out the rest.

Next you cut off the extra material from the Longer J-Stiffeners. I used the band saw to ruff cut them, then metal sheers to trim it close and finally the die grinder with Scotch-Brite Course and Medium Pads


Then I deburred the long edges on the 3m Scotch-brite wheel. These stiffeners are thick so this took a little bit of time.

Next step to to modify the Horizontal Stab attach bar support angle.

I decided another day when I wasn't super hungry to make all these measurements, so I prepped a few pieces of work for the next day.

Elevator 2.5 Hours, Rear Fuselage 3.0 Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...