Monday, May 27, 2019

Elevator May 23 & 24

May 20

Elevator

Paint - New Priming Method

My primer has shown up!! I also ordered some mixing-mate mixers and lid seals just to make my life easier.


Time to start the tedious process of cleaning metal to prep for primer.

New Primer Steps that Im going to use.
My new process is going to be soak with Eko-Etch for 1-3 mins at a 1:2 diluted mixture and and scuff to clean with the Scoth-Brite pads, Rinse well with water, let the parts dry, wipe off with 91% rubbing alcohol or MEK to clean just before priming.



Primer with the mixing-mates on them.

The primer is mixed 1:1. I wasn't sure how much I was going to need to do all the interior components of 1 elevator so I started with the smallest amount and it was just Barely enough.

I picked up the little airbrush gun that I saw on someones else blog that they liked for priming small parts. I used it for  this whole batch and it worked great for the smaller pieces, but should have used my paint gun for the larger ones. I just didn't want to have to clean both.


All suited up, I look like Im in a chemical suit! probably overkill but I don't to get the primer on my clothes and I definitely don't want to breath it in.



Primer turned out awesome, Im not sure if its any tougher than what I was using have testing it, but it goes on at a recommended 1-1.3mils thickness vs 3mils so that have to save some weight. The chemical resistance is far better that the previous stuff.

I decided to move the storage racks in the shops next to each other and open up the front space so it is usable. Not sure how I feel about it, we'll see how functional it is,


Elevator 7.5 Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...