Sunday, May 19, 2019

Elevator May 17

May 17

Elevator

All I have left for edge deburring was the elevator skins so I got to work on that today. I used the 3m Scotch-Brite wheel for most of the long edges and then the emery cloth for the spaces that the wheel doesn't get. I use what ever I need to, normally the 240 grit, initially and have moved to finish with the 600 grit. Bill stopped over today and helped out for a bit with one of the skins.


I saw this on another blog and thought I would try it out. Basically just glued a piece of emery cloth to a block of wood. It did ok, I prefer the 3m wheel for the longer runs still.

Now that all the edges are done I started to work on the trim tab for the left elevator. The plans have you counter sink the top of the forward spar where the hinge bracket is, and DIMPLE the bottom. They have you attach the hinge bracket before counter sinking. I didn't understand why at first, but in what is becoming a pattern I assumed the bottom was countersunk like the top and started before reading the directions. The CS bit chatters in the holes since the material is so thin without the hinge bracket clekoed in place.

The 3 holes that I CS instead of dimpling on the bottom, you can see the holes themselves are mis-shaped now. I ordered a new E-01405 Trim tab spar. Someday hopefully soon I will read more and slow down!


Elevator 5.5 Hours


No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...