Friday, May 31, 2019

Elevator and Aft Fuselage Prime May 28

RV14 Build May 28

Elevator and Aft Fuselage Prime


Started the day by working 1 more piece of the rear fuselage to prime so when the time comes I will have all the parts I need to rivet for this small rear bulkhead.


Next I moved on to prepping the skins for primer. The plans have to leave to area where the foam wedges bond to the skin with Pro-Seal unprimed so, I measured, marked, and taped off these areas on both elevator top and bottom skins as well as the trim tab skins.


Since the new primer Im using needs to cure for 30 mins before spraying I mixed up a batch that I thought would be enough to prime everything before I start laying out the paint booth. I was using my larger paint gun today and it turns out that I use ALOT more paint with this gun than the little detail gun I used the other day. I ended up needing 3X this amount of primer to do all the parts.

Most of the parts laid out in the booth. This was a mistake because I get overspray on the parts Im not currently working. I need to spray what I can let it cure move the parts out and repeat. I should get a part drying rack set up so that I have a place to put parts why they cure.



2 of the parts I had to prime I noticed in the plans that they still needed to be final drilled, so i did this real quick while I was waiting for the last batch of primer to set up.

Finished parts. Overall Im very happy with the result. Im still not a great painter, uneven and surprisingly a little to light in some spots more than heavy.



Elevator Prime 6.0 Hours, Rear Fuselage Prime 3.0 hours



No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...