Sunday, May 9, 2021

FWF 43 Engine Installation: Engine DIY Dehydrator

RV14 Build March/April 21

Engine Installation

Now that I have to rebuild my wings, I don't want the motor to have corrosion issues so I'm doing a few things to protect it over the next several months, once mt ACF-50 handheld applicator gets here i'll fog the cylinders, but for now I pulled the top plugs and installed rechargeable dehydrator plugs.

Then a made a forced air dehydrator. I bought an airtight 16 cup container, 6lbs or reusable desiccant beads, a 40gallon fish tank pump, some tubing, inline filter, and cheesecloth bag. The pump will recirculate air once i have exhaust tubes to hook the inlet line up to. I have already take the top of the pump off to RTV the seem together and add the air inlet. The goal was to make it as air tight as possible for when I want to have a closed system. From what I could find this 40 gallon pump moves 1.3L/min of air, but need to add a 1 way check valve to the inlet. I think the back pressure might be to much for this pump and its sucking and blowing excessively through the inlet side. 

The air leaves the pump into the bottom of the 16 cup container. I made plastic baffles that sort of cause the air to zigzag back and forth so it see more desiccant surface area I hope. Then at the top is a filter inside of the cheesecloth bag and finally an outlet tupe that goes to the breather line for now.

I wanted to be able to monitor the humidity so up with the filter is a Govee Humidity sensor.



The ice thing about the Govee is it tracks temperature and humidity so I know how the system is doing and when it needs recharged. Right now everything is brand new and its holding it below 3% humidity!!

43 Engine Installation 1 Hours





No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...