Monday, March 30, 2020

Interior Topcaot

RV14 Build March 25 & 29

Interior Topcoat

I struggled to come up with a paint idea for the interior. I think I want a carbon fiber instrument panel so a lighter interior topcoat seemed smart. I have zero artistic ability so I hope this works with the final paint scheme.

I decided to go with Stewart Systems EcoCrylic Smoke Gray 2 part waterborne epoxy primer. I am really happy with how it sprayed out. I use a Concoure LT spray gun from Eastwood, it can run off 4.5 CFM. I set the pressure so when the trigger was depressed the air inlet pressure was 20psi, this was probably a little high, but it still sprayed well.

Started by masking off all the areas I dont want paint.

Firewall is masked.

Rear baggage area masked.

Moved the airplane into the paint booth.

Stewart Systems Paint. I didn't get a picture, but I used 400 grams of Part A. * I did mix up 50 more grams of color with the same ratios to finish the topcoating.

100 Grams of the flattener at a 4:1 to get a Satin finish.

125 Grams of Catalyst for a 4:1 of the 500grams of color and flattener.

55 Grams of Water, about half of the amount of catalyst used.

I did my best to fog coat and wet coat this on. As per Stewart Instructions. It was hard with the size of the gun and paint hopper and air hose limited access.


Finished product!

Couple smaller parts I sprayed. I also picked up 2 of these platforms to help stand on and get over the edge of the airplane.

Few days latter I installed the Upper FD Fuselage and Top coated all the areas that will be visible with the canopy up.


1 last part to install that I sprayed on its own.

Interior Topcoat 9 Man Hours 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...