Thursday, March 5, 2020

Section 37 Roll Over Structure

RV14 Build March 3

Section 37 Roll Over Structure

In keeping with the idea that I don't know how much I want done before I topcoat I decided to build the roll over structure. I got it in my head that I was going to prep and prime this all in one session after working on the canopy frame. Man did I underestimate/not read the amount of work ahead.


That last of the blue!

You are suppose to use 4 rivets as guides to hold everything together and in the correct orientation then the assembly can be removed from the aircraft. Since I am going to prime the parts I didn't set the rivets but just used them to fill the holes and align the part and clekoed every other hole. Hopefully this doesn't burn me in the end.

Getting the roll bar straps installed to match drill.

Both roll bar straps installed, the back half of the assembly clekoed on, you align it the same way on the fuselage first. Also, the window shims are installed on the aft part of the roll bar.

Match drilling and re-clekoing. The plans talk about not letting the drilling ships get between the parts. I was worried so I opened everything up and cleaned them out, but then did't re clekoe every hole to the end and this proved to be a mistake. The upper roll bar straps moved alignment and the holes that I match drilled by the end where off...by alot. Almost snowman looking. Im going to test set an LP4-3 and see how it looks to decide if I want to drill it up to a larger size.

Finally have all the holes match drilled.

Got smart and put down paper to clean up the countersink shavings easier.

Countersinking the 6 holes in the upper forward part of the roll bar strap where the roll bar brace set into.

Countersinking the forward outer flange of the roll bar. On the curve the cutter would cut a little too deep, 4 micro clicks out seemed to work well to fit that. Since these are pulled CS4-4 Im not too worried about the over counter sinking.

Cut and debur these last few parts.

Prepping for prime with the etch.

Last few parts to etch

All the etching is done time to prime.



Finally after an 18hr day have everything primed!


Roll Over Structure 10.5 Hours



No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...