Thursday, March 5, 2020

Section 35 Upper FWD Fuselage

RV14 Build March 1-3

Section 35 Upper FWD Fuselage

I have been struggling trying to decide how much I want installed and completed before I topcoat the cockpit. Most people follow vans instructions and do it after section 32 the baggage area. I decided I wanted to build everything and see how it looks with it mocked in place before I decide when to topcoat.

Since I am going with the quick build wing this is the last major section...I think...of deburring, prepping, and priming. Gathering the parts is getting easier because there is almost none left!

This tab isn't in the plans to cut off, but according to vans it is using the the manufacturing of the part and can be cut off.

I etched and washed the parts at home. Just more comfortable.

Finished etching.

Getting ready to spray

Starting to assemble, this is very straight forward. 


The plans called for a pop rivet on one of the nutplates, but i was able to get a squeezer on a solid rivet.

Back riveting the map box frame onto the subframe.

Dimpling and riveting on the nutplates.

Nutplate done, I noticed I missed a rivet looking at these pictures. Ill get it.

Testing the skin fit to the subpanel.

The plans have you flute the upper flanges as needed to get the holes to line up. I only had 2 tabs on each side that really needed it.

Riveting on the sub structures.

Marking the holes not to rivet yet.

Looking good.

I temporarily installed the canopy hinge brackets, its 2 gold parts between the ribs, the plans have you do this a little later. But Im hoping since access is easy on the bench do it now and it wont cause more work later.

Clekoed her into place

Even after getting this mocked up Im still not sure If i want to install it now and then topcoat or topcoat first...

Moving on to the canopy decks while I think about it. This was straight forward rivet it in and match drill.

After I matched drilled both side.

Now you counter sink the longeron and dimple the canopy decks.

You can see the skin keeps the cutter cage from resting on the longeron flush so I had to use the hand tool to countersink all those holes in the end.

Then I installed the instrument panel attach brackets.  Almost done with this section!!

Uper FWD Fuselage 20.5 Hours


No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...