Monday, March 30, 2020

Section 32 Baggage Area Finish mistake and repair

RV14 Build March 17 & 25

Baggage Area

I received the replacement part prepped and primed it. When Matt and I started to install it we messed. I didn't have the bucking bar in the correct location, it was next to the rivet not on it, when we tried to set it. The location is tight and you are doing this by feel. Well it cracked the flange of the rib.




I emailed Vans and asked about stop drilling it, although i think the crack went into the rivet hole, and making a double between the 2 rivet holes. They said this would be sufficient for this area. I used the old part that was messed up already to get the rivet hole pattern and made the doubler from 2024-t3 .032.

I matched drilled the holes, this worked okay. I wanted to carry it out to 2 more rivet holes to help transfer the load.

I ground down the flange and deburred with cratex bits just incase the crack didn't got into the rivet hole. Its really hard to see things upside down through a mirror. Put a little self etching primer on.

The problem is the last hole on the left was dimpled and the doubler didn't lay flat so the doubler has a little bow in it, so it probably doesn't transfer the load but it can't hurt.

 Now that I repaired that time to finish this section. The flap motor brace and bracket.
 More of the flap motor bracket.


Section 32 6.5 Man Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...