Friday, August 30, 2019

Aft Fuselage

RV 14 Build August 10 & 27

Aft Fuselage

Been moving slow this August getting the airplane built. Seems like I keep making little mistakes that require parts or tools. Oh well, finally a little progress. Matt came to the shop and helped me put the aft fuselage back together to the point that I had it before I decided to drill everything apart and re-do my work.

Getting the shims between the tail spring mount and the bulkhead. You can see in this picture though the clekos in the horizontal stab mounting bars...I ran out of those larger rivets. Decided to press forward and install the bulkhead and put those rivets in later.

The bottom aft skin came together much nicer this time around.

Finally moved beyond where I had it 2 months ago, note to self, slow down and go home if you dont have the tools, parts, or energy. A day or 2 is shorter and cheaper than 2 months or rework!

Another view of the side with almost all of the rivets in!

The larger rivets came in, I used the squeezer where I could and drove the remaining ones, glad this worked out.

Optional dimpled access panels need these different nut plates that don't come with the kit, ordered them from aircraft spruce, the install went mostly smooth. Had to drill out 1 and redo it.

Finally the entire aft sides are done!

Work on the aft deck!

Cruising along!

And my mistake for the day... Drilling this bracket I didn't have the double plate under it so I drilled the holes slightly to low...New part ordered.

You can see with the double plate riveted to the deck how the hole in the bracket is higher than the hole in the stabilizer mounting bar. I probably could "fix" this but i've learned it usually faster and easier and causes less damage to get a new part and do it again.

 Moving forward anyway! Drilling the mounting holes for the vertical stabalizer!

Oh man looks like and airplane!

The holes start as #30 and need to be perpendicular to the bulkhead and 1/4". I step drilled them with 3 drill bits and finished with the 1/4" reamer.

Boom airplane tail!

Aft Fuselage Man Hours 19.0 Hours

2 comments:

  1. Hey Todd, great work! Very helpful resource as I'm working through the Aft Fuse on my 14 now. From one of your pictures above, looks like you have the nuts for the tail-wheel attach bracket on the forward side of the bulkhead. Should these be on the aft side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! there are many blogs that i use to help me too, glad Im paying it forward!

      I don't think so...Page 10-18 "Step 6 (Tail Dragger):.....

      Attach the tail spring mount to the F-01411 Bulkhead as shown in Figure 1.
      Orient the bolt heads aft for the best access."

      I took this to mean insert the bolts aft side and nuts FWD. But fundamentally I don't think it matters. I think the bolts are loaded more in shear than tension, but either way with a properly torqued fitting I don't believe the joint has any idea of the relationship of the nut vs head.

      Delete

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...