Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Aft Fuselage mistake repairs

RV14 Build August 2

Aft Fuselage

All the replacement parts for the aft fuselage lower aft skin came in so i prepped them for primer, primed, and started the repairs. 


I forgot to order rivets to build this bulkhead so Im stopped dead in my tracks again!!

Or am I! When I was as Oshkosh I was talking with one of the vans engineers about my poor drilling out of the j stiffener rivets when I was drilling out the aft lower skin. He urged me to replace the whole stiffener rather than splice in a new one or build a doubler. I was apprehensive since drilling rivets is what caused most of the damage Im now repairing, but i decided I needed to learn to do that better and took his advice. It worked perfectly. Removed the old one with almost no issues and installed the new one once the paint dried, with Matts help on the rivet gun again!

My "snowman" drill holes that need to be fixed

View of the old one.

View of the New one, looking O so good!

Front end of the new one, runs the whole length of this section.

Getting ready to rivet. No pictures of that, but we got it installed.

Aft Fuselage Man Hours 8.0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...