Saturday, April 11, 2020

Section 36 Aileron and Elevator Systems

RV14 Build January & February 

Aileron and Elevator Systems

Continue on with the Control sticks. Match drilling holes and cleaning out extra powder coating.

Looking at the kit supplied poles to drill

The powder coating was basically right on for how deep the control tubes go into the control brackets.


The control tubes must be a hard metal because they did a number on my drill bits. I had to step up 6 but sizes to drill rather than the 21 then 19 the plans say.

The through bolt to connect the control stick brackets to bearings is bent! Hard to see in the picture, but it wont go through the 2 bearings and the bracket.

 Well I can install the one side at least.

Checked the angle of movement. I ground the stops evenly when the plane was upside down during the joining of the fuselage sections. I did double check again with paper and still even.

Angle of movement are good!

Bib delivery!! Hardware, new plug and play control sticks, tools Oh my!!!

Generic sticks vs the plug and play stick. I was going to cut the kit supplied ones and but the control handle but adding up the cost it didn't make sense, wish I would have realized this before I drilled the other tubes. Oh well now I have spares?

Had to take the control sticks apart to see how they are wired. I am having most of the wiring done by Stein or from the kit, But I really want to understand it. The best way for me to do that is go work in there shop for 6 months, but since thats not possible I reverse engineer what they send me to make sense of it all.

Drilling the new control tubes.

Im dumb! I drilled the holes in the wrong orientation. The co pilot stick will have an extra set of holes drilled in it.

My innovative small washer holder.

Washer install

 Side sticks installed!

Aileron and Elevator Systems 7.5 Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...