Monday, April 13, 2020

Antenna

RV14 Build April 10 & 13, 24 & 25

Antenna

I almost done with the fuselage kit, so I've started to do odds and ends. Things like installing GPS antennas! Im going to use the GA-35 for my GNX375 WAAS/GPS/ADBS/Transponder unit and the GA-57X for a GDL51R XM receiver and the GPS signal for the GDU460.

I wasn't too excited about trying to drill into the fastback, dimple, make a doubler, and install the antennas. Thats when it was mentioned to me that I could install them under the baggage window on the Roll Over Structure Brace. 

First I mocked up a line to see where the baggage window will be.

Used tape to mark the middle of the Brace. The antennas are .8" tall so as long as the base is no higher than the tape I will clear it almost up to the Roll Over Structure

Then I looked this up for the GA 35 install. I feel good about most of these in green, The 1 in red is worrisome and the roll over bar might shadow them a bit.

Since #1 is level with the flight attitude, Vans says you can level with the longeron so basically thats what I tried to do and mocked it out of cardboard.

Longeron Angle

I cut 6 inch long pieces of a 1x1" .063 aluminum angle. Then mocked it on the Brace and use the brace bottom to draw a cut line.


The mounting plates are .063" 5x6" 2024t3 sheet metal. Just taped it together for now

Checking the longeron angle

The angles matches the Longeron still

Then I match drilled #40 and clekoed, then final drilled #12 for AN3-4A bolts into the K1000-3 nutplates.
Holes in the brace.

I used a AN3 bolt to hold it in place when I final drilled the second hole

New tool!! 10-32 Nut plate jig This made drilling the nuplates brainless.

Finished drilling, time to debur, dimple and rivet.

Nut plates installed


I used magnets to hold the Mounting plates to the Angle for now to see how it looks and measure the clearance again. I plane to rivet them together after I locate and drill the Antenna screw holes.


So thats the plan and if it doesn't work out, I can use the same antenna, same cable, and the mounting plates as backing plates and move the antenna to the fast back.

New tools to drill even holes and nutplates.

Brackets are fabricated and test fit.



Everything looks good. Interestingly the GA57X as a BNC and TNC connector for the GPS and XM.

The test install looks great, The string represents the rear window.

Topcoated the brackets.


Antenna 12.0 Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...