Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Section 40B: Landing Gear, Aircraft Specialty Brake Gear Lines

 RV14 Build January

Landing Gear and Engine Mount

After getting lost in the forums I wanted to go with MIL-PRF-83282 brake fluid for its higher temperature rating. So I ordered some Royco 782.

But this still left me with a weak point in the system. The O ring in the Grove calipers, so I upgraded these to M83248/1-222 O rings, surprising hard to find size.

Then I got after installing the aircraft specialty gear leg brake lines. First was to change out the AN fitting on the firewall for an AN3. I really wish I would have done this before the engine mount was one, because it was a tight spot to turn a wrench.

I didn't realize the fittings from the Vans kit were a larger size.

Next I started to route the brake lines. I was a little worried about chafing, even though the braided line is inside a clear tube, I still wrapped some rescue tape around the are near the bottom of the engine mount.

I also still followed the Vans plans and cut some tubing and installed it over the brake line and secured these areas to the gear legs with friction tape.

Friction tape on and the line wrapped around the axle. 

I am a little worried about the vibration and having the hoce chafe on the wheel fairings, I'll have to look into a grommet or sorts of this area. The line does get a little close to the mount bolts for the axle  so I think I'll add a piece of the plastic hose in that area and secure it with friction tape as well.

I figured changing the brake fluid might not happen that often but I might have to bleed them for various reason so I splurged and bought the ATS brake bleeder. It took a little getting use to getting the coupling on and off, but I think it's probably the best way to do the job.

Eventually I got smart and added a line from the reservoir to a catch cup so I wouldn't make a mess.

I did have small air bubble just magically appear over the next few days, so I kept bleeding the system to get them out.

Finally I think I have all the air out of the lines.

The fluid isn't suppose to be stored in the ATS tool so i poured it through a paint filter and into this cup. When I get air bubbles i pour it through a paint filter again back into the ATS bleeder and repeat.


Section 40B Landing Gear 5.0 Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...