Thursday, January 21, 2021

OP62: New IO-390-EXP199 Mods: Changing the fuselage parts

RV14 Build January

Exp119 Mods

I wish I knew some of this before, but here we are. First change is to change the cowling attach plates. Now that the exhaust exits near the sides and not out the center channel the plates are too long and might cause interference.

First one drilled out and nut plates removed, cut to size and deburred. The black was rattle can paint that I removed and primed the parts with AKZO.

Somehow I managed to cut the wrong side off one of the plates and had to fabricate a new one. This was actually kind of fun rather than waiting on Vans to ship a new part out.

Re-installing these is a little tricky under the engine mount. There isn't enough clearance to use the squeezer so I had to use the rivet gun and bucking bar. Definitely a tight spot.

Getting ready to rivet.

Got it all installed, Time for the other side. I was able to use the squeezer for the nutplates. I put them on last so the wouldn't interfere with the bucking bar.

Next the plans have you "not rivet" these areas, but since the build is well past this point I had to drill these out. I'm waiting on the FWF kit to make sure the holes in the "cowl flap" metal parts line up before I drill these holes out larger for nut plates. Riveting the most aft nutplate on is going to be hard with all the control pushrods in place already.

Marking the rivets that need drilled out.

This is a step that's in the current plans, kind of annoying that its not called up in the normal build. For some reason the right hot air vent gets a cap install on the front and you have to remove the forward pop rivets to rivet it on, as well as sealing it with RTV.

Section OP62 New IO-390-EXP119 Mods 3.5 Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...