Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Section 24 Wing Tip

 

RV14 Build August

Wing Tip 

The wing tips were fairly easy, I was nervous about them after my not great job on the elevator tips.

First thing you do is trim the edges to 1/2" and make cut outs for rivet heads.


Then you strap the tip to the wing with good pressure to seat the tip and you match drill.

I also used clamps to align the trailing edge.

Then you match drill.


After you drill I drilled the nutplate holes, I should have bought another jig for #6 nutplates, but I did it per the plans and use a nutplate as a guide. Problem is after a few holes the drill bit starts to enlarge the nutplate holes.



These nutplates were a little different becuase the surface beneath them isn't flat. I twisted the nutplate to match the surface in an attempt to keep the thread perpendicular with the outside surface.

I noticed while i was drilling and the tips were clamped that they are a little long.

I was worried about trimming them and having the sides seperate like what happened with the elevator fairings so I built up the inside with 2 layers of fiber and some flox.


Next I started to work on the the nav light covers. These took awhile. Lots of fitting and cutting. I never did find a great tool to cut these with.

I did a big rough cut then traced the cut line and proceed to do more and more trimming till i liked the fit.

Final fit. 1 side is nice and tight, but when i drilled the hole for the nut plate on the other side it pushes the lense forward and off the fairing. Im guessing the wind will get under that and rip the whole thing off. Ill need to remake this most likely or build up the fairing to fit.

Drilling the holes for the Nav lights themselves was simple.

Nav lights work and so does my wiring from the wing root out!

Last thing I did was the trailing edge metal supports. This one one not super happy with, I think I should have pushed it further aft into the trailing edge before drilling. It deforms the fiberglass a bit at the tip, but nothing a good body work can't fix.

Section 24 Wing Tip 15.5 Man Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...