Saturday, September 19, 2020

Section 19 Wing Systems Routing


RV14 Build August

Wing Systems Routing

I thought going into this section that it would be relatively straight forward, but I found a way to make it harder lol. First by wanting a Regulated GAP26 that required me to add some wires it also required 2 air lines. All this extra made for the snap bushings in the ribs to be WAY too small.

First I ordered a bunch of stuff from Stein to install in the wing before I closed it out. 

Regulated GAP26

Magnetometer

GTP-59. My plan at this point was to install this in the wing walk area on the fuselage, but turns out Vans has a hole in the left wing for it already so I need to make room in the snap bushings for this as well.

Starting the wiring process

Even with the stock wire bundles it became clear that the smallest size snap bushing the instructions call for was inadequet so I borrowed an idea from other peoples blogs and got a .5" step bit to open them up. This worked okay but I found a Vans article saying you can open tooling holes up to 5/8" and drill others to 3/4", going a little bigger would have been useful.

After I installed the new snap bushings I bought from Heyco and pulled the extra wires I needed I realized that I wanted to terminate my new wires into the same Molex connector if possible, but that means I needed to change this to a 12 pin.

New Wiring layout.



Got the dremel out an cut the bracket to size.

Since I was at it, I didn't like the way the Molex connector for the Autopilot servo Roll trim mounted so I moved that too. It gives it more clearance from the skin for the wires to bend down and make the turn.

This is what the molex would have looked like and the space the wires had to make the turn.

This is after, a lot more room hopefully less trouble with potential chafing.

Trimming the bracket.

Next I needed to clean up the wires, they all were a few inches too long so I trimmed and repinned where necessary.


I added heat shrink labels to the wing tip end of the wires...IDK thought it might be helpful in the future.

The nav and landing lights share ground and you have to splice these together. 

I used a solder sleeve to add the nav light ground into the landing light ground wire.

Connecting the GAP26 wires to the wires I added. I did twist the power and ground, but I was told its not necessary. 

Next thing left to do that I didn't get a good picture of was wire protection. I used a split braided wire wrap to protect the wire between grommets where it ran next to the spar, bolt heads, and rivets.

I used a spiral wrap for the wires going to the stall warning and the power ground wires a ran for a future ER Fuel Tank pump.

Finally all the wires are in and terminated.

Not enough room in a single snap bushing for both pito/aoa lines to a ran them down 2 seperate.

Wing Systems Routing 22 Man Hours















No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...