Saturday, September 19, 2020

Section 18 Fuel Tanks

RV14 Build July and August

Fuel Tanks

I decided I may want to install ER tanks in the future so I am putting "Fuel Bung" kits from Hotel Whiskey in the tanks now so that if I do get ER tanks in the future the infrastructure will be installed already.

I struggled more than I should have in drawing out the rivet holes on the bung kit, thanks to Matt for recommending the protractor.
We used a flexible hose connected to the shop vac, and my iphone endoscope to get it in the correct location while we drilled.
Close up of the set up


View from the endoscope.


Final drilled and marked to install in the correct location.
Next I went on to work on the fuel float sensor. Checking the sensor with the Ohms meter.
Then I bent of the float wire. I broke 1 so this picture below is me trying to fabricate one from a steel rod that I bought. The rod was too soft so I ended up buying a new sensor since I couldn't find the part.
Simply screw the float sensor in and check the float.
I used the endoscope again to see how the float sits in the tank. Lots of tweaking to get the float to the correct orientation.

Against the top skin "Full" position.
Against the bottom skin "Empty" position.
Backed out view of the empty posistion.
Now that the fuel senders are in time to pressure test. First tank I had trouble right away with this plug. I tried 3 different thread sealants and could not get it to test well. After looking at it closer it would appear that the leak is coming from between the skin on the tank and the flange not the threads.

I used my endoscope to see inside and it does look a little light on sealant on the one side.

This is the plug location in question, I can't find a place that it ever gets used so I have no idea why Vans put it in?

Left the other tank overnight and still holding strong.

Used soapy water to check for leaks.

Sending the bad tank back to vans to repair.

Its nice that Vans stands by these and will do the repair, kind of a bummer that it needs done in the first place.





Fuel Tanks 24.5 Man Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...