Wednesday, June 9, 2021

FWF Section 47 Baffle

RV14 Build May 21

Baffle

Starting off I had to make the baffle tension rods. It is really hard to clamp these small wires to tap threads onto them, but I got it.

Tapping threads

Install the tension rods. I think the bend called fr is a little much so I messaged them back, also installed the anti chaff tube.

Fitting the snorkel. A lot like the cowling. trim test repeat. Fitting is all part of OP62 and the work hours for fitting this are recorded there.

The snorkel interferes with the cylinder 2 oil return line. So disconnected it for now.

After I fit the snorkel I realized the baffle was pushed out by the cylinder heater elements. So I removed the baffle and trimmed it. of course I had to start from the beginning on fitting the snorkel since everything shifted.

Finally a good fit.

Drilled holes for clekoes and I fluxed the top abne bottom of the snorkel parts together. 

End of OP62 back to the plans. Drilled and riveted on the air ramps.


Marking the alternate air door.

Drilling the alternate air door.

Fluxing in the alternate air door bracket.

The baffle seals come pre-made and cut. But 2 of them are mislabeled and almost tripped me up.

The right one is one of the mislabeled ones.

All installed. Takes way too long with my crappy pop rivet tool.

Measuring the lower cowling to baffle Gap.

Both sides

Use the gap numbers to set the metal spacing to build up epoxy flux.

Letting the flux cure

Removed the metal and primed.

Measured the flux thickness and installed some on the upper cowling with about the same thickness

Sand the upper cowl flush

Install the lower baffle seals.

RTV the baffle gaps.

All RTVed up.

trimming and re flaring the oil return line.

Really glad I had some practice at this on the fuel lines. Also riveted the alternate air flange and temp installed the alt air door.

Section 47 Baffle 13 Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...