Monday, March 8, 2021

QB Wing Corrosion/ Primer issue

RV14 Build March

QB Wing Re-Work

Vans has informed me that my wings are part of a batch that didn't get the correct application of primer and are subject to corrosion. Well that sucks! That had me test the wings by wiping a dry rag to see if primer transferred.


It would seem just everywhere I tested.

Then I did a thorough inspection for actual corrosion. While I didn't find a bunch, I did find some.


Not sure what the green dots are, I think the primer, but there looks like some salting could also be from overspray of acetone. 


Finger prints from sweat.

While Im waiting on Vans to answer some questions I decided to get into the wings are clean up everything I could find. Even if it was questionable. Acetone, scotch brite, SEM self etching primer and I did use AKZO where the application was easier with the smaller airbrush.




Cleaned out every possible spot I found we will see what fans says and how this plays out.

QB Wing Corrosion/Primer 6.5 Hours


No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...