Monday, March 8, 2021

Avionics Panel- Inventory and starting on the sub panel.

RV14 Build February

Avionics Panel

This section takes a LONG time since there isn't plans you have to figure it out and execute all on your own.

Ive been waiting on the FWF kit but lucky the panel came a few weeks early!

It's like Christmas morning!

How the panel comes packed, some stuff attached to the harness others not.

Big ball of wires.

Couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I have the V speeds on the right and 1 of those didn't print well and Stein shipped the panel back reworked it and had it back to me in 3 days!

All the other components

After I did the inventory and while I was waiting on the panel to ship out and return I started in on the antenna cables. Really this was just mostly running them through the airframe. I had stein terminate the end at the antenna and leave the other end for me to cut to fit and terminate.

I forgot how tight the turn is from the center tunnel to the com antenna under the control sticks.

After some doing I was able to get both comm antennas run.

Next I moved on to the remote Comm and GDL51 flip down tray. Since I had previously decided to go with Skybolt for the cowling I had the cowling hinges laying around that I repurposed.

Then I mocked up a tray using some angle and sheet of .032.

Then I drilled all the rivet/mounting holes, primed and riveted.

Drilling the mount for the flip down tray.

Assembled tray with the GDL on top and the remote com on bottom.

Gad27 and GEA 24 moch up to find the location I want.

Next I started to locate and drill the nutplates on the subpanel for all the other units.

After I mounted the first 2 boxes I remembered the canopy might extend down and cause interference so I sent and measured.


Sure enough I mounted the GAD 27 too high.

Re-drilled the nutplate holes.

Installed nutplates.

To make sure the BBS would clear the canopy I lowered it down the sub panel and had to trim the support flange for the map box since Im not using it anyway.

There wasn't a tone of wiggle room to get the nutplates for the IBBS into the mapbox doubler but it did just fit, lucky accident to have the doubler for the heavier battery.

Flip down tray testing and sub panel mounted!

Finally riveted on the panel frame from back in section 35. Ill take the .5 hour work in the total on this section though


Avionics Panel 25.5 Hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...