Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Paint booth and Vertical Stabilizer

Got back into the shop today. Finished up the air exhaust system for the paint booth, which I think finishes it up.

Even though Im waiting on parts I decided to move ahead with what I could do and it turns out a lot. First I assembled the ribs onto the spars and final drilled all the holes that attach to the spar per the instructions, several of the holes that attach the rib to the spar are on the spars flanges. I drilled one of these before I realized that was y second mistake. These holes connect the skin to the flange and should not be final drilled that large. You can see it in the red circle below
Luckily I can just use a larger rivet for this hole, I just have to remember to match drill the skin and dimple that hole larger, I also have to buy a rivet cutter now to trim the rivets I have to size. Yeah a new tool! Below in the plans the blue arrow marks the hole I final drilled to large.
After finishing drilling the rest of the VS assembly, I cleco'd the skin onto the assembly and final drilled all the holes that match the skin to the assembly.
Now I just need the rear spar parts to come in to redo the assembly, final drill the skin to the new final assembly, disassemble, deburr, clean, prep, paint, reassemble, and rivet! Yeah...so almost finished with the VS.

After I got as far as I could on the VS I moved onto start the rudder. Mostly it was just trimming and deburring parts. I have been using a hand deburr tool, 1" Scotch-brite wheel on my hand drill, and a 6" Scotch-brite wheel on my new bench grinder. I ordered a Dremel tool to help with trimming and deburring.



Vertical Stabilizer 1.0 Hours, Rudder 2.0 Hours


1 comment:

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...