Wednesday, November 14, 2018

The Kit has arrived!

I started out this journey thinking I was going to build a Titan T-51, then thinking I have never built an airplane before maybe I should start with something a little simpler to build so I settled on the RV8. After talking with some friends about what I wanted to use the finally airplane for, longer trips with my wife or a friends, I decided the 7 might be a better choice. So I  decided to head out to Portland to take a tour of the factory and get a demo flight in the RV7. On my way out there I had somebody asked me why I was going, what questions did I have? I thought about it and I realized, I didn’t have any questions I was looking for reasons not to build the 7. After I got out there and talk to the guys I found that reason, the RV 14.
Quick Build Kits
The picture has a couple of the quick build kits, on the left, are the 7 on the right the 14.  You can see from the picture but the 14th is a little bit wider than the 7, and the fuselage looks like it’s only half. The fuselage looks like this because the empennage kit is much more substantial, and contains about 7 feet of the fuselage.
RV14
 After I got home from my factory tour I started ordering things. I started with the tools I thought it would noon, and I ordered the kit from Cleveland tools. Then I went and found warehouse space in Chicago near my apartment to build the airplane,  and then the empennage kit. The kit arrived right on time and I worked with the freight company to schedule finally delivery to my shop. I ,spent the weeks between ordering the kit and it’s arrival trying to get the shop ready, more on that in another post. The kit arrived and was undamaged, I was lucky to have my friend Matt with my to help do the initial inventory. Having a second person saved a ton of time reading and checking against the inventory list and unpacking the crate. Vans packing guys don’t mess around the parts are seriously Tetrised into the crate!
RV 14 Empennage Kit
RV 14 Empennage kit


No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...