Monday, January 21, 2019

Finishing the Rudder Start the Horizontal Stab January 16th

January 16th

Rudder
Finished rolling the leading edges and pop riveting the rudder today!! It is done!




I started on the HS today. I started with the rear spar and rear spar doubler deburring. I knew I wanted to prime smaller batches of parts this time around to see if I get a better finished product, so instead of drilling and mocking up the entire HS then disassembling, deburring, prep for primer, and priming. I am going to prime parts as I go in batches that make sense for sub assembly. To this end I jumped ahead in the plans and machine counter sunk the holes for the HS skin in the spar. Vans says that counter sink holes for dimpled skins should be 7 clicks on a micrometer countersink tool with .001" increments more than you would set it for just counter sinking a rivet. Since I knew I would be priming I set it to 10 clicks, this is just a wag on how think I think the primer is. Now that Im writing this I should set the rivet in the primed holes to see how it looks compared to a test piece counter sunk to the correct 7 click depth.

Same Deburring as before. Scotch-brite wheel for the long edges, Dremel tool for the lightening holes, and finish everything with Maroon Scotch-brite pads.




Paint
Since I knew I was going to pain in a few days. I didn't want to have the same problem with clumpy primer as before so I set the primer in the drill press with a paint stirrer and let it run. Initially this backfired because the whole can spun and primer went everywhere. Duck tape to the rescue. In reality this time the primer color chunks seemed to mix themselves back into suspension and a stir stick would have worked, but dam it I bought the stirrer and wanted to see how it worked! In the end the primer was ready when I needed it.

Rudder 1.5 Hours, Horizontal Stabilizer 3.0 Hours


No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...