Saturday, August 8, 2020

QBW Sections 13,14,15,& 16

RV14 Build July and August

13, 14, 15, & 16 QBW

These sections are suppose to be complete when you get the wings.

Section 13 Done

Section 14

Technically Complete, but i found from other people that the amount of wiring going into the wings made the smaller Snap bushing not work.

Per the plans I opened the 2 vertical holes in the first 8 ribs in the left wing to the larger SB500-6.

I bought a .5"  step drill and 12" extension to get to all the holes.
I found this online giving guidance on wing wiring. I may open up the holes that I plan on running the Pito and AOA down to 5/8 for SB625-7 or 8. This will allow both tubes to run through the same snap bushings.

Section 15
I thought that this section was complete, but I found holes that need to be final drilled, although I used a reamer, and Countersunk.


Section 16
The top wing skins missed Countersinking the wing walk cover screw holes.


After countersinking the holes, I noticed the doubler under the skin to help with the wing walk support showed signs of cracking.
I called Vans, they said the wing walk doubler isn't structural for wing integrity, just there to help carry the weight of a person without denting the wing skins. Im hoping this cracks dont get worse, but for now they said not to worry about them.
This kit I tried to get all the metal that I thought I needed to drill, cut, shape done and prime all at one time. First I needed to remove the corrosion on the flanges and other random areas that came with the kit.

Normal prepping the metal for prime.
Getting ready to spray

 
All primed!

13-16QBW 10.5 Hours


No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...