Thursday, February 13, 2020

Section 31 Fuel System

RV14 Build January

Fuel System

I was back and forth on this, and still might be, I can buy a prebend kit of fuel lines for $300ish but I wanted to do the work and learn it so I bought an imperial tube bender, parker flair tool, and a pipe cutter. All together it was about half of prep bend it.

The fuel pump and filter, have to crimp on the ground insulated connector ring. I don't have a good picture but I also installed the fuel line brackets, there was some clearance struggles with the pop riveter, but I used the trailing edge V shaped piece "tool" the plans have you make for the elevator to get in the tight spots. Liz came to the shop and build the fuel selector!

The plans have diagrams you can use to match your bends too, but they use a 1 inch radius and my new bender is 1.5. Reading the directions for the bender is confusing at best. Lots of trial and error.

Finally have tubes that basically match the plan dimensions, now time to flair!

 And this is wear my lack of experience bites me. The soft metal is getting torn up by the flairing tool.

The bur left by the cutter is falling apart and getting pressed into the flair.

Yeah, definitely not going to work.

Ordered new tubing, after some research it seems if I debur the tube and keep the flair tool WELL lubricated the flairs will come out better. I am going to practice on the old tubing for a bit.

New technique looking MUCH better, now I just need to courage to try it on the new tubing!


Fuel System 6.0 Hours

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...