Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Section 26 Mid Fuse Lower Structure seat rib work

RV14 Build October 25-November 6

MID Fuselage Lower Structure

Section 26 has a ton of parts!! Brining parts home to debur edges and prep for prime has really added to my productivity, not to mention its way more comfortable than the shop! I broke section 26 down into 2 builds, the seat ribs and the baggage area.

I clean the edges that I can on the scotch-brite wheel. I picked up a deburring wheel and I love it! I know its pricey but its not as aggressive on the parts and leaves a much better edge.

Then to the kitchen for all the edges the big wheel can't reach, mostly emery cloth and Dremel with a small sanding flap wheel.

Prime time!


Per the usual I thought assembling would go faster, turns out I still can only do 1 dimple and 1 rivet at a time....and there are a lot.

Step 1 add doublers.


Ive learned to break everything down into smaller bits so I don't spend days doing deburring or riveting, it definitely keeps it fun and interesting for me.

Dimpling the bottom with me sub-structure dimple dies, still love them.

The plans say to flute this area on all the seat ribs per the figure, but the figure doesn't show fluting on the F-01417-L ribs. After talking to Vans I was reminded we flute anytime that a part has a curve and doesn't lay flat, the plans know that from the lighenting hole stamping it adds a curve that needs to be removed so they tell you to flute. I just forgot why we do it and it added some confusion, I did to a ruler as a straight edge to check how much I needed.

Nutplates installed.


Cable Routing brackets.

Seat rib doubles installed.

Crotch strap brackets going in.



All the smaller bits are put together now just need to add them to the bulkheads.

MID Fuselage Lower Structure 16.5 Man Hours



No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...