Monday, April 22, 2019

Horizontal Stabilizer April 17

April 17

Horizontal Stabilizer

Riveted the front and rear spar back together today, finally got back to where I was before I realized the paint job was off. Total time to fix that mistake on the Horizontal Stab 19.5 Hours! Not counting having to rebuild the rudder still, Oh well. At least Im making progress again!


One nice thing is I think I finally figured out this squeezer! I have to squeeze the rivets in a 2 step process. I set the tool to the recommended gap and squeeze everything of the same size, then come back after adjusting the gap smaller and setting the rivets to the final size. I've also turned the air pressure up from the tank to around 115psi which seems to help too. Its a little disappointing it wont set rivets in 1 go but its nice that I got it works now so Im not hammering all he rivets and risking damaging the parts with poor technique holding my bucking bar.


It is nice how uniformed the squeezer make the shop heads!


Finished the spars and started on new progress! Per the usual I thought this next step would be simple as squeezing the rivets together and the angles proved to make the center section much harder to assemble.

After finishing the center section I attached it ti the front spar along with the other ribs.


I then put the leading edge nose ribs into the skin and riveted. Theses I had to shoot with a gun and bucking bar. It took several attempts to get the most forward set correctly. Its very tight to get a bucking bar on it at the right angle.



All in this was a very productive day at the shop!

Horizontal Stabilizer 7.0 Hours



No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...