Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Horizontal Stabilizer April 16

April 16

Horizontal Stabilizer

Well its been some time but I finally got back to the shop. Yesterday I spend 2 hours cleaning the metal for paint prep and today I primed all the pieces, again, and dimpled all the parts for the CS rivets in the skin.


I really hope that I mixed primer correctly this time! I made 2 batches of 250g of Part A then 18% of that or 45g of Part B and then reduced it with water by 13% of Part a or 33g. I made sure to mix everything super well. The Part A was really thick almost like a paste when I first opened it, so I put my paint mixer in the drill press and let that spin for 10 mins. That seemed to to the trick!


I had emailed the company and asked what color they thought was the easiest to cover with a top coat and they recommended smoke grey for an all around option with not knowing what color topcoat I was going to be using. So Smoke grey it is now instead of the green I was using. The 2 part green color was very close to the CZ Green, but the single part just didn't look right, and after spraying the grey I do like the way it came out.


I am still very impatient when it comes to painting. I tried to be better this time spraying a Fog coat followed by a Wet coat. While I was waiting for the fog coat to tack up I cleaned up the shop and started to get the HS Skins ready for dimpling. This wored well for the 1 side, but then while I was giving the parts time to dry I dimpled everything I had to dimple flipped the parts and sprayed the other side. It was a little too soon and the the paint was stcking to the spray table. I need to spray 1 side and wait a few hours or overnight before I do the other side in the future. I just need to learn patience. Also, still need to get better at spraying in general. I was having issues getting the gun set correctly and was putting down uneven coats of primer.

I don't know why but I dimpled with the blue plastic still on, this was a mistake. I thought about it half what through the second skin and peeled the plastic off. I set a rivet into the dimples and the are definitely deeper from having the plastic between the dimple dies. Hopefully this doesn't cause a problem in the future when I am riveting the pieces together.

Horizontal Stabilizer 7 Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before Start and First flight testing

 R14 Build August & September 21 Testing Getting into the fun stuf!! Putting gas in for the first time. Have the airplane up to get 15 d...